St. Andrews Church 

Future Events and Services

Mothering Sunday Service: 19th March at 11:15. All welcome to attend this Family Service to celebrate
the inclusive role of “mothering” and receive a Posy.
March’s Services:
Coffee will be from 10:45, with services starting 11:15.
• Sunday, 12th March – Holy Communion
• Sunday, 19th March – Mothering Sunday Service
• Sunday, 26th March – Holy Communion
Coffee and Chat: on Saturday 11th March from 10:00am with the AGM starting at 11:30. All welcome.
Home Communion: If you are unable to go to church and would like to receive Holy Communion at home, please contact Rev. Cora Yarrien  email
Morning Prayer: is on Tuesdays at 9:30am. All are welcome.
Private Prayer & Reflection: the church is open every day from 10:00am – 4:00pm.
Church Contacts: Team Vicar - Rev. Cora Yarrien 


The Parish Church of West Stafford is dedicated to St. Andrew and was rebuilt in 1640 incorporating elements from its 15th century predecessor. Distinctly Jacobean in character, the interior of the church is much appreciated for its plastered wagon ceiling, the carved rood screen separating nave from chancel and a fine candelabra, gifted by the Gould family in 1713. The chancel, built in 1898 from a design by Ponting, houses the Parish Dower Chest - said to be one of only three of its pattern, the other two being in the Bank of Ireland. Near the altar is a monument to Canon Reginald Southwell Smith, who was invested as rector of West Stafford a year before Queen Victoria acceded to the throne, and “reigned” almost as long as she did, dying in 1898. At the western end there is a gallery decorated by a coat of arms and three bells by Wallis in the late 16th century tower, one dated 1595 and the other two 1620. It is to these three bells that Hardy refers when describing the wedding of Tess to Angel Clare in chapter 33 of “Tess of the d’Urbervilles”: “As they came out of the church the ringers swung the bells off their rests, and a modest peal of three notes broke forth – that limited amount of expression having been deemed sufficient by the church builders for the joys of such a small parish.”