The wall before
In February and March 2023 the wall with bays was completely exposed on the South Side and partially on the north side. The wall is on private property and there is no public right of way,
The aerial shot above shows St. Aldhelm house in Rectory Lane. It is the home of the Archdeacon of Salisbury. It is a 1960s building sited in the large kitchen garden of The Old Rectory. Adjacent in Stafford Gardens was a similar vegetable garden for Stafford House.
A brick wall surrounds the property which has a 1772 datestone above the entrance gate. It was probably built of Broadmayne Bricks and is 9 to 10 feet tall.
On the South side of the plot is a substantial wall with semi-circular bays to allow for the protection of fruit trees, together with significant supporting pillars. Attached in one corner is an apple house. The walls represent an important blueprint of the village.